Saturday, April 8, 2017

alliance4action Flash Monthly Meeting, April 5, 2017, 1:00 pm

alliance4action Flash
     Monthly Meeting, April 5, 2017, 1:00 pm                                                  
  Continental Plaza, Room 203

Welcome and Introductions:

Ann Striker, a4a Coordinator, welcomed the standing-room-only crowd.  At each place was an agenda, a volunteer form and the new a4a business card.  Ann reported that there are 700+ email addresses on the mailing list.

Administrative decisions were shared.  Our web site is being populated with position papers and new information. Be sure to visit as all past communications are stored there as a rolling blog. FLASH will be posted each month after the monthly meeting. ACT NOWs will be posted as needed with information that needs immediate action/attention.

Ann introduced special guests Jo Holt, Chairperson of Democratic Party of Pima County and John Abraham, Leader of the Final Exit Network in AZ.  Mr. Abraham would like to start a new a4a Action Team: Right to Die.

Maggie Sievers requested financial donations from the group to pay expenses. A hat was passed.

Action Team Leaders’ Reports:

Polly Daly: 


  • Met with Jen Darland, V.P. of the Arizona Education Network, to learn about funding for public education and the current constraints.
  • Lobbying AZ legislators to oppose Student Empowerment Scholarships.
  •  Phone calls and  postcards to Representative McSally to urge her to oppose HR 610 and HR 899.
  • Two letters published in the Green Valley News.

  • Hosting a meeting on April 13 at 6:30 p.m. at Las Campanas GVR Center.Dr. David Berliner author of 50 Myths and Lies that Threaten America’s Public Schools will speak. Parents of students from Continental School and Sahuarita School have been invited. A resource list is being compiled for parents who attend, and we are optimistic about coverage in the Green Valley News.
  • Continue to submit letters to paper and advocate for additional funding for public schools in the AZ budget and oppose legislation not supporting public schools.  Some members have been working on petition signing for Strong Start Tucson.
Next meeting: April 24 at 4:00 p.m. at Cayley Cakes.  No final decision has been made to reduce meetings for the summer months. Most of our members are year-round residents.


Health Care
Laurie Jurs:

Our goal is:   To resist ongoing efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA), using all the consequences as fodder for calls to Members of Congress (MoCs) and Letters to the Editor.


  • Several letters and columns published in the Green Valley News.
  • Participation in Webinars and National Teleconferences such as with Justice in Aging and the ACLU’s “People Power.”
  • Twitter training offered.
  • Phoning, faxing and texting efforts ongoing.

  • Advocacy visit scheduled for April 10 at Senator Flake’s Tucson office with Helen Heiden, Health Policy Aide in Washington, DC (by teleconference).

Next Meeting: Wednesday, April 12, at 1:00 p.m. at Cayley’s Cakes.


Connie Aglione:


  •  Supporting both the March for Science and the People’s Climate March, two large marches taking place in Washington D.C. and across the globe. We will participate in the sister events in Tucson and encourage all a4a people to join us.  The Tucson marches will not require a lot of walking. Marching because we face a possible future where people not only ignore scientific evidence, but seek to eliminate it entirely and also to push back against the Administration’s climate-change-denying agenda.

·         March for Science Tucson, Saturday, April 22, 10:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m., El Presidio Park, Tucson. Car Pool: meet at 9:00 a.m., parking lot near Denny’s in Sahuarita.

·         Tucson People’s Climate March for Jobs, Justice & Climate, Saturday, April 29, 10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m., El Presidio Park, Tucson. Car Pool: meet at 9:00 a.m., parking lot near Denny’s in Sahuarita.

Next Meeting: Sign Making Party for the Tucson Marches, Wednesday, April 12, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Tubac Community Center, Bridge Road. Tubac. Make your own signs for the Tucson events. Basic supplies provided. Bring extra markers, rulers, stencils, glue etc.   


Jim Armstrong:


  • We are pleased that the BRIDGE Act (H.R.496) picked up four more cosponsors; sponsorship is now at 22 members (11 from each party).
  • Postcards to MoCs “WITHHOLD FUNDING for the BORDER WALL, NEW DETENTION FACILITIES, and MORE ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL.”  Also sent postcards to Rep. McSally “Take a stand for the Dreamers.  Cosponsor H.R. 496, the BRIDGE Act.”


  • Continue to speak out through letters to the editor and speaking engagements in the community.
  • Support, participate in, and attend events in the community that improve relations and raise awareness among borderlands neighbors.
  •  Monitor AZ state legislation relating to immigration issues and to alert the group when there's a need to contact legislators in Phoenix on particular bills.
  • Keep a watchful on eye on county sheriff and local police department actions and positions regarding their level of engagement in immigration round-up activities.
  • Stay alert to MoCs’ public statements, press releases, etc. to follow their positions.

 We thank Betty Johnson for her leadership as she moves on to other activities. The group needs new leadership: a chairperson and a communications person, especially as many members depart for summer.

Next meeting:  Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 3:00 p.m. at Cayley Cakes

Racial Justice
Diane Meyer for Cynthia Dean: 


  • Refining four position papers:  Restorative Justice, Private Prisons, Arizona Prisons, and Reparations. These will be placed on the website when complete.
  • Action group members are contacting MoCs about several proposals: 
    • HR 40, a bill to set up a "Commission to Study Reparations Proposals for African Americans Act.”   
    •  Congressional Black Caucus proposal for 10/20/30, namely for federal agencies to spend 10% of their funds in areas with 20% or more poverty, for 30 years. 
    • A bipartisan bill titled “National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2017” to study our prison system and recommend systemic changes. S. 573 (115th). 
    • State level recommendations by the National Council of State Legislature guidelines for effective state sentencing and corrections policies. 
  • We continue to read, discuss, and study about Racial Justice issues and determine our focus in this very broad topic.

Next meeting is April 21, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., Good Shepherd Church, Sahuarita.

Discuss "A New Public Safety Framework for Arizona: Charting a Path Forward” by Caroline Isaacs of American Friends Service Committee.

Election of Progressive Candidates
Miriam Lindmeier:


  •  Election of Progressive Candidates Committee heard presentations by Jo Holt, Chair of the Pima County Democratic Party and Mary Darling, Chair of the Santa Cruz Democratic Party and Chair of Chairs of the Arizona Democratic County Chairs.  This was followed by a Q&A discussion.
  •  Our leadership group met to discuss the general meeting, coordinate subcommittee activities, and plan future events. Each subcommittee continues its work. 
  • Current major focus is input into who will be our CD2 candidate, and we are planning activities to accomplish our goals.  Next action will be determined by our steering committee next week.

Rebecca McElfresh:


  •  Postcards sent regarding the removal of LGBTQ persons from federal surveys .  Contacts were made to MoCs promoting pro-LGBTQ bills.  We established a list of organizations to watch for legislative information regarding LGBTQ persons. 


  • There will be a presentation on LGBTQ advocacy through the arts - Sunday, April 23, 10:15 a.m. at The Good Shepherd Church. We will begin to work at the state level on non-discrimination policies.  Group members will work on this during the summer in the location of their summer residence.

 Next meeting: Monday, April 10 at 1:00 p.m. at the home of Rebecca McElfresh and Jim Armstrong. 

Additional Action Reports:

Pam Duchaine gave the communications report for Jean Vickers with an update on website views and Facebook likes. We were reminded that all upcoming events are listed on both our website and on our Facebook page. The report mentioned that Dan Shearer, Editor of the Green Valley News and Sahuarita Sun stated that every time we mention a MoC in a Letter to the Editor or Guest Opinion, the MoC’s office makes note of it. 

Diane Meyer for Fred Ginocchio reported that the a4a booth has been available for the past three GV Farmers Markets held on Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., with 2 shifts.  70 individuals stopped by for information on a4a.  Soon we will have a banner for our table.

Maureen Brooks to lead a new action group, a4a Writers Group.  They will meet monthly and write letters to the editor/columns to keep our issues in public view, especially during the summer. First meeting will be Monday, April 10 at 10:00 a.m. at Posada Java. All are welcome. Bring your ideas or rough drafts.


Rally in GV April 15, 2017 10-11:00 a.m.: Linda Laird

To be held in conjunction with the nationwide Tax March and address all issues of concern. Postcard table will be set up to have all attending write a postcard. Join us in solidarity . . . Bring your signs!!!

Today’s Actions:

Let’s Make a Tweet Storm – Lenore Bell     a4a Twitter Handle

RESIST BOT Text – Carrell Ebert     Text/Fax your message to MoCs.

Movie Time

The Health Care action group made a 30-second video to submit to national Indivisible.  It was shared in an !Act Now! Friday, April 7.

Next a4a Meeting: Sunday May 7, 2:00 PM at Casa Community Center (La Posada Campus). Joint meeting of cih! (changeishappening!) and a4a.