PENDING SENATE HEALTH CARE LEGISLATION
The Senate health care bill may surface
June 26th and be voted on June 28th.
Our goal is to head this off, to delay any vote.
What We Need to Do NOW: Contact Senators McCain and Flake’s Health Care Staff in Washington*. Ask them to vote NO on the Senate Health Care Bill based on the Talking Points below.
*If you can’t get through, call the Tucson offices.
Senator Jeff Flake (R)
Helen Heiden, Legislative Assistant for Health
- • Helen_heiden@flake.senate.gov
- • 202-224-4521
- • 520-575-8633
Sen. John McCain (R)
David Bennett, Legislative Assistant for Health
- • firstname.lastname@example.org
- • 202-224-2235
- • 520-670-6334
- • The Process is Legislative Malpractice: Object to a vote without committee hearings or expert testimony, and the specter of a last minute “substitute amendment” strategy.
- • The Republican Health Care Plan is Deeply Unpopular: It’s not favored by any state. Public support for the AHCA in AZ is under a third of the population.
- • Medicaid Expansion: Rolling back Medicaid expansion in Arizona will hurt over 400,00 adults and children over six.
- • The Individual Marketplaces: More insurers and lower premiums in the marketplaces can be obtained with guaranteed cost-sharing reduction subsidies, re-insurance options, continuing premium subsidies and consideration of geographic variables.
- • Real Coverage for Preexisting Conditions: This is not negotiable. Blanket statements about affordable coverage won’t satisfy us. The 10 Essential Health Benefits must be guaranteed federally to ensure equitable coverage. State waivers will allow the reintroduction of lifetime and annual coverage limits, literally causing death and bankruptcy as in pre-ACA days.
- • Essential Health Benefits: Essential Health Benefits must be federally guaranteed to cover maternity, substance abuse (read opioids), dental, rehab and mental healthcare.
- WHAT WILL WE DO?
- • Use these Talking Points (or others that raise your blood pressure). Use one at a time for DAILY phone calls, Resistbots, emails and letters to the editor in the AZ Star, the GV News and your hometown papers.
- (There is Resistbot guidance on the a4a website)
- • If you know activists in Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, Maine, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia or Tennessee, send them this material to adapt for their own Republican senators.
- • Go to https://www.trumpcareten.org/daily/arizona on the Indivisible website to get Arizona specific daily (weekdays) scripts. Adapt them to your personal style and stories.
- • Ask your doctors to take a public stand. Ask your professional or interest group organizations to ACT NOW, like this week.
OTHER ACTIONS IN OUR AREA
Senator Flake “Keep Us Covered” Rally at his office at 6840 Oracle Road, Tucson, 7:30 am, Tuesday, June 20th; bring an umbrella! Organized by Indivisible Southern Arizona.
Visit to Senator Flake’s Tucson office, Friday, June 23rd, 4:00 pm; RSVP to Chesney Richter at email@example.com; organized by Organizing for America.
I BELIEVE I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE